Last Sunday, I taught the “Getting started contributing to the Wiki docs” classroom session of the Doc Team’s Ubuntu Documentation Day. This was the first time I taught one and I learned some lessons:
- Have an outline of your lesson ready
- If possible, have the outline reviewed by someone else in the team to check for erros
- Have an example to go over and have it for everyone that wants to do it be done by the them
- Have enough time for pauses and use them for questions
- It’s okay to still have five (5) to ten (10) minutes left in your session; it can be used for questions
- You have to PM the Classbot with the commands in order for it to work out the questions and have them posted into the session from the chat channel
I hope these lessons can help others who wants to teach a session.